Educational technology is present in our classrooms. ISP Schools students are digital natives, which means that they have been born into an environment in which the use of technology is an everyday part of their daily lives, which is why it is important that digital applications and educational technology, also be part of their education, both in the classroom and at home.
We are going to analyse what educational technology is, what the pedagogical model of educational technology is like and its advantages over the traditional model.
What is educational technology?
The concept of educational technology is very broad, but we can define it as a set of applications and devices that allow the use of digital tools in the field of education.
Currently, there are many different alternatives for the application of ICT in the classroom, it is important to know their scope and how they allow us to improve our work, also improving the motivation of students.
Methods and resources of educational technology
One of the main advantages of educational technology and its application in the classroom is that it is an educational project under construction, and therefore, we are constantly receiving new alternatives.
Despite the constant renewal of the pedagogical model of educational technology, we can identify several established methods of application, depending on its application.
- Modular learning: Technology allows us to personalise teaching, modular learning is learning based on a personal approach and on the qualities and abilities of the learner. With the use of technology, we can deliver programmes that are completely tailored to the aspirations of the individual learner.
- Problem-based learning: The use of technology serves to develop creativity, in this case, the teaching material is based on the use of technological and digital resources, to solve situations that pose a challenge for the student.
- Playful learning: Through play we can establish learning methods that keep the learner motivated and receptive. Playful learning through digital applications is an excellent resource for language learning.
- Digital learning: Obviously, another learning process that takes place through educational technology is that of technology itself. In a digital environment they will learn to use computer and multimedia resources responsibly.
The advantages of educational technology
Digital educational technology allows the following advantages to be incorporated into the classroom:
- Students have access to alternative teaching material, different from traditional paper texts.
- It allows part of the learning process to be totally autonomous, so it is the student him/herself who makes decisions and is involved in his/her own development.
- It facilitates processes in which learning can be personalised, based on the abilities and aspirations of each student.
- Another advantage of educational technology is increased participation in group activities and joint decision-making.
- Teachers now have many different resources at their disposal, which allow for tailor-made pedagogical processes.
- In reference to language learning, it is a very effective support.
Educational technology as part of language learning
In terms of its impact on language learning, the application of technology has been a crucial advantage. Learners are provided with personalised digital tools that are tailored to their level and that also progress with them. Playful learning means that they can spend more time learning languages through playful activities and learn faster.
In general terms, the application of educational technologies in the academic environment has meant a significant advance in language teaching. Currently, there are many alternatives offered by language-oriented ICTs, not only in the classroom, but also in other educational environments in which students can continue to learn, improving their written and oral level and their general understanding of the language.
Incorporation of educational technology in ISP Schools
ISP Schools incorporates more than 60 schools and more than 58,000 students from 17 different countries. One of our commitments is based on encouraging the application of digital resources in the academic environment, in order to offer our students the most advanced digital tools.
Today’s education must know how to take advantage of the available technology, and there are many alternatives aimed at teaching through the use of technological resources. At ISP Schools we work every day to analyse the incorporation of new technological solutions, both for language learning and for the rest of the curriculum. Among the possibilities offered by these resources, technology allows us to keep the ISP community always connected, sharing the same educational project in different parts of the world.